Monday, January 25, 2010

Stuck In The Middle

This is a situation i never hoped to get into. See, i applied for a University accommodation but i never really got a reply from them which was quite odd as i applied the 1st week of August last year which is pretty early because that was just 2 or 3 weeks after the new semester started. Usually, they'd send an e-mail by November saying whether you got a place or not. By the end of December i still hadn't got an e-mail from them. So i was advised to look for another accommodation which i did; i found myself a nice apartment that i'd lived in before which is about 25 minutes walk to uni up 4 annoying hills but i took it and paid half of the bond so i wouldn't be left feeling homeless. My parents on the other hand weren't too pleased about this; my dad doesn't want me to live alone because it's gonna make my social life more non-existent and my chances of meeting a future prospective hubby more difficult. My mum on the other hand blatantly doesn't want me to live in a non-university affiliated accommodation except i'm living with a group of friends.

So you can imagine her excitement today when i told her that i had infact been offered a place in university accommodation. I also had to tell my dad cause for the last couple of weeks he's been making it clear that he's not happy with me living alone eventhough he doesn't want me to feel like he's trying to dictate what i should do. My mum feels exactly the same way and when they found out that i got a place today, they asked me to talk to the other people i got a place with and forfeit it; eventhough it means losing the deposit i already paid which is quite substantial. Before we get into the details, i must admit that i'm absolutely excited about the university accommodation that i got offered. It is less than 5 minutes walk to the city mall and very close to woolies, just a stone throw away from the free bus stop to uni, has a swimming pool and a restaurant just downstairs. So idealy i shouldn't feel bad right? I should be excited that i have this opportunity to live in the lap of luxury whilst i'm still at uni. Did i mention that it is only $10 more expensive than the other place and whereas i have to spend an extra $10+ on bus fare in the other apartment to uni, i get the bus free for this one. So that means i'm only losing my deposit right?
But i still feel a bit weird about going to have that conversation with them. What do you guys think?
Image via Pgteenspace.files.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I enjoy reading your comments